This wonderfully creamy vegan potato salad with a twist will brighten up any summer meal. It tastes so decadent you’d never know it was healthy or vegan!
- 1-½ cup Sweet potatoes (about 1 large) cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups Regular potatoes (about 4-5 medium sized potatoes) cut into similar sized cubes
- 2 bunches Fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- ¼ whole Red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
- 3 whole Large pickles (dill pickles)
- FOR THE VEGAN MAYO:
- 2 tablespoons (in heap) Soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon (small) sweet mustard (mine has different spices including turmeric)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ teaspoons Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large pot of boiling salted water, add the potato pieces. After about 5 minutes, add the sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes generally don’t take as long as regular potatoes. Another thing you can do is cut sweet potatoes a little larger than regular potatoes and throw everything in at once.
Meanwhile, lightly steam or boil the green beans for about 6 minutes if fresh, or a little less if frozen. You want them to still have a little crunch to them. Once cooked, drain and immediately run the green beans under cold water to stop the cooking and retain the bright green color of the beans.
Once the potatoes and sweet potatoes can easily be pierced with a sharp knife, remove them from the baking sheet and drain them.
Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans to a bowl. Add the chopped onion (if you have a mandoline, now is the time to use it!).
Cut pickles (or gherkins) in half lengthwise then slice before adding to the bowl.
To make the vegan mayonnaise, just combine all the ingredients. Add mayonnaise to the salad, mix it. Make sure everything is well coated but be delicate!
Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. This salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator, which makes it ideal for meal prep!