A delicious and easy soup, this Tuscan Bean and Kale Soup features savory herbs and spices, beans, tomatoes, fresh kale and a secret ingredient that infuses the whole soup with rich flavor.
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1-½ tsp Red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoons Fennel seeds
- 4 cups Chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian or vegan)
- 1 box (Size 15 oz) chickpeas or cannellini beans, drained
- 1 box (Size 14 oz.) Diced tomatoes with reserved juices
- 1 piece (2 inch size) parmesan crust (or white miso if vegan)
- 1 bunch Kale, coarse stems removed and coarsely chopped
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and salt and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and cook until it turns a rusty color, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the spices by crushing the fennel with your hands. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Deglaze the skillet with 1/2 cup chicken stock, scraping up any brown lumps from the bottom of the pot that may have developed. Cook until the broth has reduced by about half. Add the rest of the broth, the beans, the diced tomatoes with their juice and the parmesan zest.
Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat. Cover with an airtight lid and cook for at least 20 minutes. Add the kale to the simmering soup and cook for 3 minutes before serving.