Make your own spicy curry paste and oil-free creamy tomato puree, and enjoy an easy and healthy plant-based dinner.
- FOR THE CRISPY TOFU:
- 8 ounces, liquid Firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Arrowroot
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- FOR THE CURRY PASTE:
- ½ cups Chopped red onion
- 2 cloves Chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Chopped fresh ginger
- 2 Fresh red peppers, sliced (more or less depending on how hot you want)
- 2 tablespoons Date paste or other liquid sweetener
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Salt (optional)
- FOR THE TOMATO PUREE:
- 15 ounces, liquid Canned tomatoes packed in juice
- 15 ounces, liquid Canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-½ cup Vegetables soup
- FOR THE TOMATO AND VEGETABLE CURRY:
- 1 Large onion, halved and sliced
- 3 cups Cauliflower florets cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 Zucchini (zucchini) cut into half moons
- 1 cup Frozen green beans
- 1 cup Frozen peas
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro (cilantro), chopped (optional)
For the crispy tofu:
Press the tofu by first cutting it into quarters and then pressing it between 2 plates. Weigh the top plate to squeeze the moisture out of the tofu. Press for 20 minutes.
Once the tofu is pressed, preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes. In a medium dish or on a rimmed plate, combine the curry powder and garlic powder. Mix lemon juice. Toss the tofu pieces in the spice mixture to coat all sides. Sprinkle top with arrowroot and salt. Mix the pieces with a spoon (or your hands) until the tofu pieces are coated.
Arrange the tofu on a baking sheet, making sure the pieces are not touching. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring several times after the first 15 minutes.
For the curry paste:
In a blender or food processor, add ½ cup minced red onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped fresh red chillies, date paste, lemon juice, curry powder, ground turmeric and salt (optional). Blend or process until smooth. Put aside.
For the tomato puree:
In a blender or food processor, add the white beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Blend until smooth. Put aside.
For the tomato vegetable curry:
In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time if they start to stick.
Add the curry paste and stir to coat the onions. Make sure the pan doesn’t get too hot so the batter doesn’t burn.
Add the cauliflower florets and zucchini. Stir to coat them with the curry paste.
Add the tomato puree and ensure the pan is simmering. Cover and simmer, 10 to 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender when pierced with a fork.
Add frozen green beans, peas and tofu. Simmer for 5 minutes until everything is hot. Stir in cilantro, if using, and simmer for another minute.
Serve with lemon wedges and your favorite rice or grain.