A creamy sister to Tom Yum soup, Tom Kha is meant to be spicy and sour with a hint of coconut milk creaminess. An authentic and healthy version!
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 6 pieces Galangal root, crushed
- 1 box (about 13 1/2 Oz. Size) Coconut Milk
- 2 rooms Lemongrass, cut in three and mashed
- 4 whole Shallots, sliced and mashed
- 5 whole Linden leaves, crushed
- 12 ounces, weight Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 whole Thai or serrano chiles, crushed
- 1 whole Roasted chicken, shredded meat
- 3 tablespoons Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
Prepare all the ingredients. Mince the shallots and peppers before crushing them. Set all ingredients aside and heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the galangal root. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Add lemongrass to coconut milk, shallots, lime leaves, mushrooms and peppers. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in shredded chicken, lime juice, fish sauce and salt and simmer for 2 minutes, until chicken is warmed through. Stir in the cilantro and remove the galangal root, lime leaves and lemongrass stalks. Serve.
• The spice level of the dish will come from the peppers. Use more/less according to your preferences. Taste a small piece before adding so you can determine the spice level.
• You can make a delicious Tom Yum soup out of this by removing the coconut milk, increasing the chicken broth by 2 cups and increasing the amount of lime juice by 2 tbsp. Garnish with a lime wedge.