Simple Savory Tamale Pie is a delicious comfort food on a cold winter night! This delicious one-dish meal is ready in less than an hour and will feed a hungry family of 6!
- 1 pound Ground beef
- ½ whole Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 whole Hot pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 box (Size 14 1/2 oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 box (6 oz size) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- FOR THE CORN MUFFIN BATTERY:
- 1-⅓ cup All purpose flour
- ¾ cups Yellow cornmeal
- ½ cups Cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup Milk
- ¼ cups Melted butter
- 1 whole Egg
- ⅓ cups Monerey Jack cheese, grated
Heat the oven to 350ºF.
Brown the ground beef, onion and bell pepper in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, until nicely browned and the meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Mix well and press into a buttered 11 x 7 baking dish. Put aside.
For the corn muffin batter, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. Add milk, melted butter and egg. Mix well and pour over the meat mixture. Garnish with grated cheese.
Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes or until topping is cooked through and lightly browned.