Sausage Minestrone is a hearty, warming soup filled with pasta, vegetables, beans, herbs, and chunky chunks of delicious pork sausage. Try it today!
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole Large onion, diced
- 2 whole Carrots, diced
- 2 rods Celery, diced
- 1 pound Mild Italian Sausage
- ¼ teaspoons Ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoons Ground sage
- ¾ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 box (28 oz size) crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 box (size 15 1/2 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 box (size 16 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 whole Bay leaf
- ½ cups Chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cups Chopped fresh basil (plus more for serving, if desired)
- 8 ounces, weight Ditalini Pasta
- Grated parmesan, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes.
Add sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until cooked through and beginning to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the fat from the pot. Add spices and garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, bay leaf and parsley. Bring the soup to a boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the chopped basil to the soup. Stir and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the ditalini according to package directions.
To serve, remove the bay leaf, spoon some cooked ditalini into the bottom of a bowl, pour the soup over the top and garnish with chopped basil and grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!