My version of kidney beans and rice is all cooked in a large pot. This mouth-watering combination of onions, peppers, celery, andouille sausage, kidney beans, rice and a perfect blend of spices is a super hearty meal full of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 1 Green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 rods Celery, chopped
- 12 ounces, weight Andouille sausage, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1-½ tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz size) kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 box (Size 14 1/2 oz) Diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup Long-grain white rice, uncooked
Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and sausage. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion softens and sausage is lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic, oregano and Cajun seasoning, cook 1 minute.
Add kidney beans, chicken broth, tomatoes (if desired) and rice. Make sure the rice is completely submerged in the broth. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Note: I like to add tomatoes, however, if you want a truly authentic Cajun recipe, leave them out.