Summer comfort at its best, so easy to prepare and extremely tasty!
- 4 whole Large summer/yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 1 whole Medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Salt and pepper
- 1 whole Large roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Hot sauce
- 8 ounces, weight Grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cups Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cups Sour cream
- 12 whole Butter crackers such as Ritz, crushed
If serving immediately, preheat the oven to 450ºF and a medium ovenproof pan on medium with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the squash, onion and dry spices to the skillet. Stir every few minutes, cooking the squash and onion together for 30-40 minutes total until wilted and most of the water has evaporated.
Turn off the heat of the pan and add the roasted red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream. Stir to combine and taste; add more salt, pepper and hot sauce to your preference. Sprinkle crushed crackers all over the pan.
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the pan is golden brown and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Note: For make-ahead, store the fully prepared casserole (stop just before the last cooking step) covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat at 400ºF for 30 minutes in the oven or until hot and bubbling.