Pasta e Fagioli is a delicious Italian soup that combines Italian sausages, vegetables and beans in a rich tomato base with the perfect blend of Italian herbs and spices. I like to serve it with a little grated fresh parmesan.
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 2 Chopped carrots
- 2 rods Celery, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 box (Size 8 Oz) Tomato Sauce
- 1 box (14 1/2 oz. size) Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 box (Size 15 1/2 Oz) Kidney Beans
- 1 box (Size 15 1/2 oz) Great Northern Beans
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Ditalini Pasta
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Brown the Italian sausage over medium heat in a Dutch oven or heavy pot. Halfway through the browning process, add the onions, carrots and celery. Once nicely browned, reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic, oregano, marjoram, basil, thyme leaves and onion powder. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, fire-roasted tomatoes and beans. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring several times.
Remove 2/3 cup of hot broth and whisk with tomato paste. Return it to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring several times.
Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. If desired, serve with 1-2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese for each bowl.