Frisee, red frisee lettuce, white balsamic honey, bulgur, green onions, candied almonds, feta. A “sit up straight and watch out for me” salad!
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 teaspoon Butter (or spreadable butter)
- ⅓ cups sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 container (5 oz size) 50-50 Salad Mix
- 4 tablespoons Prepared bulgur (see note)
- 4 tablespoons Feta cheese, fine crumbs
- 3 whole Green onions, thinly sliced
- FOR SCREWING:
- ½ cups Quality olive oil
- ¼ cups White balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Honey, and more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ⅛ teaspoons onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a large, wide nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the almond slices and spread in a single layer. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon sugar and toss to coat well. Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon of sugar. Stir again then return to a single layer. Cook for 2 minutes or until almonds are medium golden brown, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
Whisk the salad dressing ingredients together until well blended and slightly thickened. Taste for seasoning. Add more honey ¼ tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired level of sweetness. I usually use 1 ½ tbsp.
In a large bowl, combine all the salad ingredients. Water a little less than half of the dressing and throw. Add more dressing if necessary, mix again, then serve.
• Prepare the bulgur well before making the salad so that it has time to fully hydrate and cool. To prepare bulgur, measure equal portions of bulgur and water. Heat the water in the microwave until boiling. Remove and add the bulgur, stirring to coat well. Let stand until completely absorbed and cooled, at least 2 hours. The bulgur should be loose and crumbly. If it’s too wet, squeeze out the excess water through a clean cotton towel.
• In fact enough dressing for two salads.