Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, also known as Cóctel de Camarónes, is a delicious cornucopia of shrimp, onions, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocados and jalapenos in a lightly spiced tomato . dressing. The end result is nothing less than an explosion of flavors for your senses. A tantalizing experience of the sweet smell of cilantro and Mexican hot sauce with the taste of creamy avocado and crunchy cucumber.
- 1 pound Large Cooked Shrimp, Peeled, Deveined and Tails Removed
- ¼ cups Sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ cups Celery, chopped
- ½ cups English cucumber, diced
- 1 Large diced meaty tomatoes (like a steak)
- 2 Ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 Seeded jalapeno, membranes removed and chopped
- 2 Limes (more if you want lime for garnish)
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- ½ cups Ketchup
- ½ cups Salsa-style tomatoes (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- ¼ cups Chopped fresh coriander leaves
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, onion, celery, cucumber, tomato, avocado and jalapeno. Squeeze the lime juice over the top and toss gently to coat.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, salsa-style tomatoes and Mexican hot sauce. Gently stir in the sauce and cut the cilantro into the prawns. Chill for about 1 hour.
Note: There are several brands of salsa-style tomatoes available at most grocery stores in the canned tomato section. Walmart has a really tasty one called Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa.