This is my favorite banana bread recipe! The bread is so easy, light, cake-like, naturally sweet and not to mention full of healthy ingredients! Plus, it’s vegan and gluten-free! It’s a weekly regular in my kitchen. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons Ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons Water
- ¾ cups Buckwheat flour
- ½ cups Oatmeal
- ½ cups Almond powder
- ½ cups Cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- 3 whole Ripe speckled bananas, mashed, plus 1 for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cups Smooth tahini, nut butter or melted coconut butter
- ⅓ cups Mixtures, such as chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, etc.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Prepare a flax egg by mixing ground flax seeds and water and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Combine and whisk all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Combine and mix all the wet ingredients until smooth, adding the flax egg last and mixing again. Add wet ingredients to dry and fold to combine. Once well mixed, stir in any additional mixture.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and top with banana slices (I like to just peel and slice the banana down the middle lengthwise to create two large sliced halves as seen in the photos).
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Note: If this recipe isn’t sweet enough for you, just add an additional 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar or maple syrup. But if your bananas are ripe enough, it should be perfect!