Skip the Chinese takeout and settle for low carb homemade sweet and sour chicken! Fresh green and yellow peppers, flavorful chicken, smothered in a keto-friendly sweet and sour sauce! Serve over steamed cauliflower rice for an over-the-top Chinese keto creation! No frying, super easy, and less than 30 minutes, you’ll be glad you ordered from your keto kitchen instead!
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- 3 Chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ Green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ Yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce
- ¾ cups Granulated Lakanto Sweetener
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan gum
Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add chicken breast and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Check for doneness with a meat thermometer (165ºF).
Reduce the heat to medium and add the green and yellow peppers. Cook for about 2 minutes just to soften them a bit.
Add apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce, sweetener and xanthan gum. Mix well to incorporate the xanthan gum.
Reduce the heat to high until the liquid begins to bubble. Remove from the heat and let sit for a few minutes to thicken.
Serve with steamed cauliflower rice.
• You can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs for this recipe. It’s really light with the use of chicken breast. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs will add a few calories but will also add more flavor.
• If you run out of apple cider vinegar, white vinegar works well in a pinch.
• I love Lakanto Sweetener, but any 1:1 substitute for sugar will work in this recipe.
• Coconut aminos or tamara can be used instead of soy sauce.
• Xanthan gum replaces the common ingredient cornstarch in most Chinese recipes. It is a thickening agent that only requires 1/2 teaspoon. That means fewer carbs!
Nutrition: Calories: 202kcal, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 41g, Fat: 5g, Saturated fat: 1g, Fibre: 1g, Sugar: 1g