Easy banana pineapple spice cupcakes with the lightest, most tender crumb that are naturally sweetened and covered in a honey glaze.
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 2 Large, very ripe bananas
- ½ Fresh pineapple or 1 cup frozen pineapple
- ⅓ cups Coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cups + 1 tablespoon of natural yoghurt, or milk of your choice, at room temperature
- ½ cups coconut sugar
- 3 Eggs, beaten, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 cups Plain flour or cake flour
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons Plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 teaspoon Coconut oil, melted
For the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), place the cupcake tins in the muffin tins.
Place the bananas and pineapple in a blender or food processor and blend until mashed (not entirely smooth) in seconds, pour into a large bowl and stir in the melted coconut oil and yogurt. Now incorporate the coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla essence, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Gently stir in flour until just blended, do not over mix. Pour the batter into the cupcake liners – this is the messy part, but totally worth it!
Bake in the center of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
For the icing:
In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, honey and coconut oil. Pour over cooled cupcakes and enjoy.
Note: The ripeness of the bananas will determine the sweetness of this cake. If you don’t have very ripe bananas, add an additional 1/4 cup of coconut sugar.