Jerk Shrimp, meet Shrimp and Grits! These spicy, jerk-marinated, grilled shrimp served over big bowls of buttery, cheesy grits.
- FOR THE SHRIMPS:
- 1 tbsp Chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 Green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp Chopped thyme leaves
- 1-½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground clove
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil, and more for grilling
- 2 books Large Shrimp, Peeled And Deveined
- FOR THE GRITS:
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pinch Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white grain
- ½ cups Grated white cheddar (2 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons Butter without salt
For shrimp, combine ginger, garlic, green onions, thyme, paprika, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and oil in the bowl of a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
For the oatmeal, bring the milk, water, salt and a pinch of pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly add oats, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, until thickened and cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and butter. Adjust seasoning. Cover to keep warm, adding more water to loosen as needed.
Heat a grill to medium-high and lightly brush the grates with oil. Add shrimp and cook, turning once, until charred and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes total. Serve over oatmeal with sliced green onions.