This French Lentil and Chickpea Soup is a deliciously warming wholesome healthy soup, perfect for cold winter nights. Packed with amazing flavor and highly nutritious, this soup is also vegan and gluten-free.
- ¼ cups Olive oil
- 1 White onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced or freshly pressed
- 1 box (15 oz. size) Tomato sauce (or use pasta sauce)
- ½ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoons Cumin
- ¼ teaspoons Curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Reduced Sodium Plant Base
- 5 cups Water
- 1 cup French Green Lentil
- 1 box (Size 15 oz) Chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup Green cabbage, thinly sliced (or kale)
In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until soft (about 3 minutes). Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the tomato sauce, stir. Add spices, vegetable base, water and lentils. Stir and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes, then add the chickpeas.
Take 2 cups of soup from the pot and blend for 30 seconds (if using a Vitamix) or until pureed. Pour the blended soup back into the saucepan. Add green cabbage (or kale) and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with roasted chickpeas, fresh green onions, toasted sesame seeds or coconut cream.