Gluten-free, healthy, short ingredient list, and can easily be made vegetarian or vegan!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cups Finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne (or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoons Oregano
- 2 cans (size 15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pinch Finely chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 pinch Grated cotija, for garnish
Heat the pan over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin and oregano and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in black beans and chicken broth. Stirring regularly, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated (the beans will thicken further as they cool). Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with cilantro and cotija.
Vegetarian? Use vegetable broth instead of chicken!
Vegan? Use vegetable broth and skip the cotija!