Only five ingredients and an hour of passive cooking separate you from this delicious, light eggplant parmesan. Go for it !
- 3 cups Marinara, any type you like
- 1 whole Large eggplant thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 8 ounces, weight Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cups Grated parmesan
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. I use a Staub round skillet, but anything that holds 3-5 quarts and resembles a 9×13 baking dish in volume will work.
Layer the dish in the following order: 1/3 of the marinara, half of the eggplant slices scattered in an even layer, sprinkle with salt and pepper, half of the mozzarella. Then repeat: 1/3 marinara, the other half of the aubergine, salt and pepper, rest of the mozzarella.
Garnish the dish with the remaining marinara, panko and Parmesan.
Bake at 375ºF for 1 hour, covered except for the last 15 minutes. The dish is cooked when it is foamy and very soft in the center. Let the dish rest for 5 minutes before pouring it into shallow bowls to serve. Enjoy!
• I have a homemade marinara recipe on my blog and in my recipe box, but use whatever you like! I often make a double batch and use some for the week ahead, freeze some and use some in a baked dish like this.
• Make Ahead: This recipe can be assembled ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a few days, then cooked just before you want to eat it.