Learn how to make creamy roasted tomato soup at home and forget about the unhealthy canned version. It may seem like a bit more effort, but keep reading and you’ll see how easy it is.
- 2 pounds Mixed tomatoes, halved
- 1 Small sweet onion, quartered
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1-½ cup Milk (or use vegetable broth for a vegan option)
- FOR THE GARLIC PARMESAN CROUTONS:
- 4 ounces, weight Sourdough bread, diced
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Grated parmesan (substitute with vegan parmesan)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
In a large baking sheet, place the tomatoes, onion and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with seasonings (dried basil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper). Transfer to a rack in the middle of the oven and roast for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to blacken and release their juices. Then leave to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, place the bread cubes in a bowl with the olive oil, parmesan and garlic powder. Stir and mix to evenly coat them. Spread the croutons on the baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) and bake on a high rack in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Transfer the roasted tomatoes and their juice to a pot and add the milk (or vegetable broth). Puree until smooth, then taste and season again with a pinch of salt and pepper if necessary.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with croutons, Parmesan and fresh herbs.