Hearty and healthy Barley Mushroom Stew is rich, creamy and full of flavor with fresh tarragon and all the goodness you’d expect from whole foods, cooking and eating without plant-based oil.
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 1 Leek, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cups Sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head (small) broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 6 cups Vegetables soup
- 1-½ cup Pearl or pot barley, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Finely chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 tbsp dried flakes)
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onions, leeks, mushrooms and broccoli and sauté until the mushrooms have released their moisture and the onions and leeks begin to soften.
Add the vegetable broth, barley, tarragon and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and bring the pot to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes until the barley swells and is tender.
Taste and add tarragon, cayenne pepper and salt or pepper if desired. Serve in bowls and enjoy.