This isn’t just any old mac and cheese – this Creamy French Onion Macaroni and Cheese is what you crave at night.
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces, liquid Cavatappi or other small cut pasta
- ¼ cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 12 ounces, liquid evaporated milk
- 4 ounces, weight Gruyere Cheese, Freshly Grated
- 6 ounces, liquid Swiss cheese, freshly grated
- 2 ounces, liquid Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- Black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter an 8×8 inch baking dish.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and reduced, about 40 minutes.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions. Drain and reserve.
In the same pot you used to cook the pasta, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add flour, whisking until combined to create a roux. Cook, 1 to 2 minutes, until golden and smooth. Slowly pour in the whole milk, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes. Slowly pour in evaporated milk and whisk until thickened. Reduce the heat to low and add the Gruyere and Swiss cheeses and all but a few tablespoons of Parmesan. Stir until all the cheese is melted. Stir in nutmeg, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta and onions.
Transfer the mixture to the buttered baking dish and top with the remaining parmesan. Bake until top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Leave to cool for a few minutes before serving.