Enjoy this grain-free risotto made with cauliflower. Saffron gives it a rich, complex flavor balanced with sweet green peas.
- 1-½ cup Vegetable Or Chicken Broth
- 1 pinch Saffron (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 head Cauliflower (about 5 cups)
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 Leek, white and green part only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¾ cups Peas, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cups Fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Fresh pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Heat the broth in a saucepan. Turn off the fire. Add the saffron threads and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
Cut the cauliflower into small pieces. Add cauliflower to a food processor. Pulse to create finely chopped cauliflower that looks like a grain, like quinoa or rice.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Sauté the leeks and garlic for a few minutes, until tender. Add the cauliflower, salt and 1 cup saffron vegetable broth. Cook 15 to 20 minutes until the cauliflower is softened. Add more vegetable broth during cooking if the pan starts to dry out.
Rinse and drain frozen peas. Add peas and remaining broth to cauliflower. Cook for 2 minutes until the peas are heated through.
Add the parsley and a little fresh pepper. Stir. Taste to adjust the salt. Serve in bowls garnished with olive oil or Parmesan cheese.