These delicious breakfast muffins are filled with pork sausage, sweet red peppers, green chiles and sharp cheddar cheese. The end result is a beautiful, hearty breakfast muffin full of the best that breakfast has to offer.
- 2 cups Plain flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoons Ground cayenne pepper (see Notes)
- ⅛ teaspoons Crushed red pepper (see Notes)
- 1 pound Bulk Pork Sausage
- ½ Finely chopped red pepper (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 box (7 oz size) green chiles, drained
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cups Very finely cubed cheddar cheese (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons Melted butter
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a standard 12 muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper. Put aside.
In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Add the red peppers and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Drain off any excess fat and remove from heat.
In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk and eggs. Pour into the flour mixture. Add sausage mixture, drained green chiles, cubed cheddar cheese and melted butter to flour mixture. Mix until the flour is combined.
Spread evenly in the muffin pan. You can fill to the top as they only go up a tiny bit. Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
• These muffins must be refrigerated in an airtight container. They stay fresh for 3-4 days.
• Spices are very mild when combined with other ingredients. If you’re concerned, reduce it to a pinch or two.
• You can grate the cheese but I like it best with small pieces of cheese. Cut it into very small cubes, about 1/4 inch.