A particularly tasty and satisfying soup packed with low-carb vegetables. Perfect for cold fall and winter days, and a great meal prep recipe. Suitable for Atkins, Keto, LCHF, Low Carb, Diabetic, Low Glycemic, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Coconut Free. For Paleo and dairy-free, replace butter with ghee or bacon grease.
- ¼ cups Chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons Salted Butter, Golden
- 8 ounces, weight Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Chopped garlic
- 4 cups Pork bone broth (or pork/chicken broth)
- 1-½ ounce, weight Baby carrots, sliced
- 6 ounces, weight Turnips, peeled and diced
- 6 ounces, weight Chopped green cabbage
- 1 pound Smoked Ham Cube (Fully Cooked)
- ½ teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Herbs of Provence
- 2 whole bay leaves
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, sauté the onions in the hazelnut butter. (The browned butter adds a lot of flavor to the soup.)
When the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms. Stir, then let the mushrooms cook until they release their moisture. Stir again and continue cooking until the mushrooms begin to brown.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add a small amount of bone broth or broth to deglaze the pan. Add the remaining stock/broth and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer the soup for at least 30-45 minutes to allow the full flavor to develop. Taste and adjust the spices if necessary. I don’t add salt to this soup because the bone broth and smoked ham seem to add enough salty flavor.
Makes 5 servings, about 1 cup each. Can be frozen.
• I like to bake a big smoked picnic ham from time to time. I keep the bone with a good amount of meat on it to make the bone broth for this soup. You can substitute any bone broth or broth you have. You may need to adjust the spices depending on the broth you are using.
• Nutrition estimates are based on My Fitness Pal’s online recipe analyzer. Brand names are included only to ensure more accurate estimates. The recipe is stored on and available for MFP users to log into their food journals.
• For more Atkins/low carb/Keto recipes and cooking tips, search Aunt Rocky’s Low Carb Recipes and Tips group on Facebook, or follow me on Pinterest at auntrocky2.
Per serving: Calories 207, Total fat 11g, Saturated fat 7g, Sodium 997mg, Potassium 634mg, Total carbohydrates 10g, Dietary fiber 2g, Net carbohydrates 8g, Sugars 7g, Protein 20g. Macros: 47% fat, 38% protein, 15% carbs.
© February 9, 2019 Roxana Lopez for Aunt Rocky’s.