This quick and easy creamy “comforting” soup is also good with leftover turkey. My carb eater husband loves this soup too. Suitable for gluten free, Atkins, keto, chf, low carb, diabetic, low glycemic.
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 4 ounces, weight Mushrooms, chopped (I use baby bellas)
- 4 rods Celery, chopped
- ⅓ cups Onion, diced
- 1-½ cloves Chopped Garlic (or 1 1/2 tsp Christopher Ranch Chopped Garlic)
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Hungarian Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- ¼ cups Crumbled bacon (or 3 slices of fried and crumbled bacon)
- 4 cups Original cooking base chicken broth (or other 0 carbs)
- 1 tbsp Cooking sherry or white wine (optional, but adds flavor)
- ¼ cups Unsweetened almond milk
- 8 ounces, weight Chicken cooked, cubed
- 4 ounces, weight Zucchini, chopped
- ¾ cups Heavy whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons Fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
If you don’t have ready-made bacon bits, cook 3-4 slices of bacon until crisp and let them cool.
Chop all the vegetables and the chicken before you start. This soup is prepared very quickly. I like to make big chunks of everything to make the soup more rustic.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add mushrooms, celery and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and the celery is tender. Add garlic, spices and bacon bits. Cook for another minute.
Pour in a small amount of chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze, if necessary. Add remaining chicken broth, sherry/wine, almond milk, chicken cubes and zucchini. Bring back to a boil and simmer just long enough for the zucchini to become fork tender. Remove from fire. Add the cream, taste and adjust the spices if necessary.
Ladle into large soup bowls and garnish each with chopped parsley.
Leftovers can be frozen. (Go ahead and top with the parsley garnish before freezing in individual portions.)
Makes 5 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
Nutrition information (estimates are per serving based on the exact ingredients I used, calculated with a free online recipe analyzer): Each serving with toppings: Calories 267, total fat 18g, saturated fat 10g, sodium 874mg, Potassium 578mg; Total carbohydrates 7 g, dietary fiber 3 g, net carbohydrates: 4 g, sugars 3 g, protein 18 g. Macros: 65% fat, 29% protein, 6% net carbs
© February 2017 Roxana López